Monday, June 30, 2008

KnitAtWork

So I was deciding what to do on my lunch break, and as I was walking to Costco (needed a grape fix), I pondered hurrying up my trip so that I could cast on and maybe get a few rows in on the new scarf. Then I decided that I am subject to enough hairy eyeball looks at work, and bringing my knitting in might be too much for my coworkers, and they might get head explody. It's one thing for me to talk about knitting and weaving. It's another to sit at my desk listening to Frank Sinatra and knitting.

Now, they have seen my partner knit. And it's sort of a novelty, because they seem him knitting at concerts...and community events...and places where a knitter is a neat oddity. But having it brought in the office? I dunno. Besides, while I am out about being a fiber artist, it's one thing to have it as an abstraction, another entirely to have it right in front of them. Sort of like a lot of people feel about gayness. They say they are fine with it, but if they see two men kiss, they get all squicky. I say men specifically because no one seems to have a problem with two women kissing.

Maybe one day I'll have to get really feisty and bring in something pink and glittery and knit on breaks. Hey, if I'm going to make a spectacle of myself, I might as well go all out.

1 comment:

cmm said...

I say "knit at work". I do. I knit everywhere. The only place that I haven't been able to figure out how to knit and do at the same time, is quad riding. Believe me, I'm still trying to figure that one out! But I will one day!

Knit at work if it makes you happy, someone may approach you about learning how.