Friday, June 27, 2008

Another ones in the bag

Last night was a finishing night. CSI and Swingtown provided the background for me to finish a second knitted scarf (very soft, which I cast off with only verbal help!) and a woven scarf.

I'm really, REALLY hoping that this one softens up with some good conditioner and TLC. It's all wool, a heavy worsted double stranded with a laceweight fuzzy wool with halo. Think mohair, but without the sticky.

BUT, lesson learned: Just because it feels nice in the skein does not mean it will feel nice worked up. The fuzzy wool felt good, and looked good, but in reality feels like those nylon dish scrubbies, which are great for dishwashing, not so great for clothing. Even in the yarn cake it felt ok, but woven up? ICK! I would not want this anywhere near my person. This is getting some good conditioner and a good soaking, and if that doesn't work I'll throw it in the dryer to felt and turn it into "art".

Would someone like to expain to my how wool gets wiry? Not just scratchy or coarse, but wiry. Like scraggly dog hair wiry. I'll keep you posted on whether or not I can change this Item of Torture into an Item of Lovely.

No comments: