Thursday, July 3, 2008

Ugly is the Word

Sometimes there is no other word for a project.

Start with (or don't, in this case) wonderful, soft, squishy thick (up to 1cm) and thin (fingering weight) brown/orange/white wool. Lovely on the skein. Lovely as a yarn cake. Then knit it on the prescribed size 17 needles. And watch it turn to UGH! Seriously, this looks like a dollar store reject, the sort of things that make people go deer-in-the-headlights as they try to find something nice to say about it. It's crossed the fine line from funky to fugly.

Seriously, the people around me say they like it. And considering the wonderful socksscarvesdishclothessweatersblankets they produce, I will not question their taste. I'll finish out the yarn cake and block it. Maybe the wonder of water and T-pins will turn it into something that doesn't make me cringe. Maybe I'll learn to love this beastly thing. Maybe GF won't be sorry she said she liked it (after she did, I threatened that it would land in her closet, to which she smiled politely). Maybe it won't wind up in the land of What Were They Thinking. Maybe. But I'm not optimistic. It's not a nightmare. It's not difficult yarn. It's plain garter stitch and reasonably fast.

But it's just plain no other words for it UGLY.

No comments: